Sunday, April 21, 2013

Vacation Wrap Up: Words


Nothing like a back in reality to remind us of how sweet vacation can be! During our vacation a bunch of my future clients were born and this week has been a super busy spell of "catch up". Plus the usual unexpected trips to the pediatrician and necessary grocery runs to make the days just fly. So, here I am sitting at computer on a quiet Saturday afternoon (after 5 hours of yard work!) to recap with words our vacation in the lovely Sanibel, Florida.

There are 10 things I wish to remember...
1. Walks on the beach with my Sweetie. Nothing like having a willing set of grandparents with you on vacation. This trip was to acknowledge Josh's parents' 40th wedding anniversary. Because of their attendance, Josh and I were afforded a couple of walks alone on the beach. Sanibel is ranked as one of the top shelling beaches in the world and it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to see why people develop the "Sanibel Stoop"  from bending over constantly to investigate the gorgeous shells underneath your feet. Josh, as always, makes everything more fun.

2. Farmer's Market. My friend Jenny told me not to miss the Sunday Sanibel Farmer's Market. It was, to say the least, probably my single favorite thing I did. My mother-in-law and I had to make two trips to the car because we could not carry all of the amazing fruits, vegetables, seafood, cheese, olives, pickles, and etc. we gathered there. Everything looked amazing (purple sweet peppers?!?!) and was delicious. I will dream about that guacamole for months to come. I can NOT believe I did not take my camera.

3. Dale reading to Hudson. According to Little Man, Bapa Dale reading to him was part of our vacation. I, of course, have such a special spot for grandpa's doting, so I just loved watching Hudson crawl up on Dale's lap to listen to Mater's Tales. I also was extremely amused at how each story took a two hour tour through lessons about car parts, driving, and other assorted information that only a grandpa can provide to a captive 4 year old. 

4. Pusher Man. We rented bikes for our stay. Tucker rode behind Josh in a traditional baby seat. Hudson was my partner in a new trail-a-bike called WeeHoo. As a bike rider, Hudson is fantastic. As one who is anxious to get to the next stop, he is a SLAVE DRIVER. Confident I am that I can not describe the CONSTANT barage of "Go Faster! Keep it up! Don't stop now Mama! Faster! Pedal!! Go! Go! Go! Why are you coasting now? I don't want to be a rotten coconut, Mama. Keep going!!!!" that came from my bike co-companion. It was 85 degrees every day. And muggy. And he is lucky I did not feed him to an alligator. (see #10) We rode over 40 miles in one week. Wee Hoo indeed.
5. Curly. Tucker had given himself a special task in Florida. It was to return every single shell back to the water. He did a very poor job, but he was an absolute joy to watch. And those curls! Gosh, I miss 'em!



6. Beach trips. One afternoon I was able to take both boys to the beach all by myself. I am so used to toting those little guys all over central Indiana by myself; it was fun to do it in a completely new place. Also, on two separate occasions, I was able to take each boy alone to the beach with me. Those were special memories for me just to keep with own heart.

7. Planes, trains, escalators, and rental cars. Both boys were great plane riders like I mentioned in my previous post. They both loved all the new motorized moments that they were introduced to. Tucker loves planes and surprisingly Hudson remembered what he called beach advertising planes two years ago..."Airplane! With a Message!"

8. Sunrise, sunset. On our last flight home, from Atlanta to Indiana, the sun was starting to set. And from the air, we witnessed the most gorgeous sunset ever (Like top ten of my life). And Hudson, so cutely, looked up at me and said, "It's a Lion King sun!" If you have seen that cartoon movie that will mean something to you, and it was very sweet to me. We both think the first 6 minutes of Lion King are awesome (yes, we have talked about this!( and frequently sing (in our interpretation of midwestern Zulu) those first couple of lines of the song.

9. Sunset with pizza. A much less pretty, but still very favorite memory of our trip was our pizza feast on the beach watching the sunset. That was a great dinner idea and we had so much fun. Especially Mr. T who played on the shoreline for about two hours.

10. Close encounters. We say more wildlife in our one week away than we have seen in months here. The abundance of seabirds, pelicans, and sandpipers was to be expected. The drive through the wildlife reserve also helped. However, on our last morning, after our 3.5 mile bike ride to breakfast, we decided to take a ride through a 1.5 mile loop at the local park. We saw TWO alligators just chillin' within a stone's throw of our trail. (one was on the trail which t-boned into ours) Overall, that is really cool. However, in the moment, with your beloved on your bike and your fearless husband repeatedly checking out the creature with your other beloved on that bike, it was a bit unnerving.


No comments:

Post a Comment