Little Man has dramatically changed in the past three months. There were specific personality quirks that were stressful and even a bit challenging prior to his surgeries in November. He was a different kid almost immediately. (Pregnant pause...see I have a difficult time communicating all those changes...)
He continues to be loquacious, entertaining to all, intelligent, a fan of books, Angry Birds, and annoying his baby brother. He is honestly obsessed with technology in general. This weekend he was described by new friends as a "lover" and I think that is a fair descriptor as well. Hudson can be shy, but he is not one to know many strangers. And when he finds something he likes, he is very passionate about it. (I am on the verge of digressing, so I will hold back a bit and focus on a general update.)
He received his first real school "progress" report from preschool last week. He was above average or at skill level in all areas except: knowing his phone number and balance. This made me laugh out loud. In honesty, we do not work on phone numbers and addresses, so that was no surprise. And with his balance, that is SO him. I am forever telling him to get his butt up "off the ground" in every random dirty floor at every grocery store or other establishment.
If you remember Hudson received a fish tank for Christmas over a year ago. His first first, Swimmy, has not been in best health. Matter-a-fact, Josh and I have been "waiting for him to die" for at least a month. Hudson and I thought it would be good to add a new Zebra Danio to the tank to entertain the other zebra we have. (Zippy is still alive. Dippy died last summer.) So, we went to the store and got two more. Hudson had the task of naming them. Seeing as we had two new fish, one being a bit bigger than the other, he suggested they were brothers. So, he named the big one Hippy (like Hudson) and the little one Tippy (like Tucker). I am amused at how his brain works.Last week I was singing the (OLD) Mickey Mouse theme song, "whose the leader of the band that's made for you and me? M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E" and Hudson said, "Uh huh! Mom it is U-S-A, NOT U-S-E" I guess he has Olympic fever or something.
Probably the most challenging aspect of Hudson these days is how sassy he is. He is quick thinking and confrontational. He does not shy from stating his mind or showing his will. He presents himself to any situation with an opinion of how things should go. (I see my mother's smiling nod that her dream that "one day I hope you get a child just like you!" has come true.) While I am proud that his confidence seems strong, being on the parenting end of this equation is already proving to be stressful. When he and I can come together on a task, we are unstoppable, but when we have a difference in how to attack an issue, watch out.
I find myself in need of a stiff upper lip so often because he continues to surprise me with his responses. Last week I caught him in his first straight out, bold faced lie. And he was trying to cover it up and thought he was doing such a good job, I-- unfortunately-- found myself just wanting to laugh at his antics.
Kindergarten will be a sad time for me. As anxious as I am to have the ability to "get some stuff done" while he is away, I will so very much miss him. The next six months we are gonna live it up.

No comments:
Post a Comment