Monday, May 5, 2014

Crystal Ball


Last week I got a view into my future. Hudson had "kindergarten week" at preschool meaning he was at school each day for extended time. The children had a variety of activities and specials to simulate the longer kindergarten school day. One day they even walked over to the local elementary building and --among other things-- played on a "real" playground. (I guess those slides and structures outside his preschool are just fake.)
It was such a great and strange experience. I had just one child for the 35 months prior to Tucker's birth. Hudson went everywhere with me, but always as this little baby and toddler. The zoo, the children's museum, grocery shopping was all done with a 0,1, or 2 year old. When Hudson starts kindergarten (well, pre-China anyway), Tucker was going to be 36 months old. So, I will get to go back to having just one kid during the day. However, this time, that little boy will be 3, 4, and 5 years old.

Isn't that cool?

I am really looking forward to having time with just Tucker. Naturally, he is a very different kid when it is just him. I also think it will be cool to experience the zoo, the children's museum, and so on with an older child.

Tucker's take on Kindergarten Week? Although I don't want to speak for him, I would venture to say, he really liked having so much attention. We had fun during our days, going on really long walks, the park, and shopping where he was the sole focus. On Tuesday, though, a morning when just Tucker went to preschool for 3 hours, when I picked him up and it was just the two of us in the car and I started to pull away, he SCREAMED out, "BABY!" I was confused at first and then he said, "Don't lose Baby!" (which is what he calls Hudson) I realized he was pretty worried that I was missing something, or someone, when I left without his brother in the car!


So, each day I anxiously picked up at 1:30 p.m. my big five year old and peppered him with questions, of course starting with the "What was the most exciting part of your longer day, Bud?" And on Monday the pattern of responses began.

Monday: "Well, actually today we had peanut butter and jelly for LUNCH and carrot sticks and…"
Tuesday: "Well, today we had actually the same lunch as yesterday only there was ice cream instead…"
Wednesday: "Well, today we had chicken nuggets and actually I ate all of mine and …."
Thursday: "Well, today we had quesadillas and they were good, but actually not as good as…"

The biggest attraction of kindergarten appears to be that there will be lunches within the school day. All those extra academics are just a waste of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment