I don't remember how we picked what side of the bed we were going to sleep on. Isn't that strange? How do married couples make these decisions. I do not remember choosing, but I think it was a significant selection for my life. For the past eight and a half years Josh and I have slept on the exact same side of the bed. Our bed has moved locations around the room, we even got a new bed, but we each have a claimed Side. Once, years ago, we accidentally fell asleep on the Other Side of the bed and it the morning we woke up on the Correct Side of the bed. Neither of us knew when or how that happened. But we corrected ourselves mid-sleep.
The side of the bed I chose--or was given-- since we can not remember which-- is the side closest to the door (based on current room configurations). This means it is the side that little people come to when they need something in the middle of the night. It means it is the side where the words, "I don't feel so better" are said first. This means it is the side that consistently loses the argument, "You are closer." It means it is the side that gets less sleep.
Many times over the past two years I have wished that I could go back to the moment nearly 3000 days ago, the day in which we held the elections of Which Side Will I Sleep On Forever and pick. the. Other .Side.
My kid walks around to my Side #ilose
ReplyDelete