After 8 years of asking, Josh finally got his garden. Naturally, only this spring did Little Man ask about growing "vetch-etables" and here we are...growing things!
Burned in my brain are horrible memories of bean picking in our garden growing up. Of course, I know now that we only had a garden in 1st and 2nd grade, but I can still see myself in my mind's eye, crying as bugs surrounded me. It was obviously traumatic and more impressionable than the secondary, but also vivid, memories of frying up delicious pumpkin blossoms for breakfast.
Our efforts were a whole family affair. First, Hudson and I created our garden plans-- and don't count me out for a future in engineering just yet! I made our plans to scale. I know, my hubs was impressed.
Josh did an amazing job creating our vision. It is an L shaped raised bed with a flat top/seat all around the perimeter. Hudson selected our plants. We are growing tomatoes for daddy. When we ran to Lowes to pick up some landscaping fabric (to line the inside with), Hudson altered our plans and quickly kicked carrots to the curb. He insisted watermelon was far superior. I know it will probably take over the whole bed, but he asked so sweetly.
Although his planning was superior, I don't envision Hudson with a career in hard labor. He was mostly in it for the "fizzy pop" and leaning against Dada's truck taking in the sights. He did have an opinion regarding our planting strategy though. "I think we should plant them with the dirt they came with so they will feel like they are at home and grow." Yep, I agree. We definitely grow the most when we are in a safe place. :)
Honestly, I would be happy if we reap a single yellow "crookneck" squash from the thing, but Hudson has HIGH hopes of all the treasurers we will get from it. I figure it is never to soon to teach him green beans do not grow from a can. Both kids have been on a huge sweet pepper kick. I am amused as I have only taken to those thing within the past year myself. Last week the boys working together finished an entire bag of peppers in one afternoon. Seriously, how am I going to afford our grocery bill in ten years?!?
So, what to grow? Our final planting includes one watermelon, one cucumber, 5 sweet pepper plants, one crookneck squash, one yellow squash, and two tomatoes. I also dropped in some cilantro and lettuce seeds last night but have no hopes for those. I added a couple of marigolds to remind me (even more) of Granny. I am confident the watermelon will take over the entire space. And Hudson would be just fine with that.
Silly me, I did not take a final picture of our masterpiece. I will do that and post it later! Alongside pictures of our "bounty"!





Can I commission your husband to build me a raised bed like that for next year? It doesn't even have to be as fancy, I promise. And by the way, are you sure that's fizzy pop in Hudson's hand? Looks an awful lot like a "Dada juice" can to me. ;)
ReplyDelete