Wednesday, March 12, 2014

$1500 Security System

I write this for posterity although I question whether I will ever be able to forget it.

For most of Tucker's life, he has had random occurrences of blueish colored lips. Probably because he is my second born and probably because it was so inconsistent, I paid little attention. I attributed it to some type of underdeveloped circulatory system issue and did not stress.
Blue lips even though I corrected some of it in Photoshop.

As previously mentioned, Tucker has Occupational Therapy once a week and twice she brought his blue lips after having his morning milk to my attention. Most recently she said something before his 30 month appointment, so I planned on saying something to the doctor. Like all people of this day in age, I had an extra 30 seconds, so I threw out my "blue lips in toddlers" search to Dr. Google moments prior to the appointment. Top result: cardiac distress, congenital heart disease, heart defect.

Suddenly I felt like the shittiest mother in the universe.

There is not another phrase which can cause "cardiac distress" in a mother like reading the words "cardiac distress" on a condition which you believe your child has. So begins my high blood pressure…

Tucker, by his doctor, was diagnosed with a condition called cynanosis which can be a symptom of a heart condition. In order to rule out said possible heart condition, it was suggested we have an echocardiogram.

I appreciate the way she said "suggestion" in hindsight, but I don't really think you can say words like "cardiac" and "heart condition" and "rule out" and NOT think the mother is going to say, "SIGN. ME. UP."

Tucker's echocardiogram came back normal. And now $1500 later, I sleep again.



1 comment:

  1. Perhaps I should be concerned with how "ghost white" my children look in this picture even though it was the middle of August.

    You are a wonderful mother and we are all very glad Tucker is ok. They say ignorance is bliss... until you are no longer ignorant. Money well spent in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete