Popcorn is a common thread of my time here on Earth. I have loved eating it my entire life. My Geeky taught me how to cook great popcorn and eventually gave me the perfect electric skillet in which to make it. I lived on a farm that grew Orville Reddenbacher popcorn in the fields which surrounded it. Within the first 24 hours in my first alone apartment, I had defined the "House Popcorn Bowl". As I have gotten married and now had kids the size of my "House Popcorn Bowl" has grown. First we had the Purdue enamel one right after we got married. Then after Hudson was a popcorn eater, it became this larger glass bowl. Tucker eats as much popcorn as me, therefore, our popcorn bowl is HUGE. Now with him, we have a trough on wheels-sized bowl so we can feed the popcorn addiction of the 4 members of this house.
My grandparents are moving. And downsizing and this weekend I spent a day helping them pack, sort, purge, and condense their lives down to a reduced amount of material things. Your whole life you collect stuff and then there is the day when those that you gave life to, start to take it all away. I reiterated to myself from this recent trip to help that I am such a huge sap. I'm way too nostalgic for my own good! While trying to pick out which 5 plates (of 800) I was selecting for the new apartment, I would find myself getting all weepy about what to do about the fate of those other 795.
I actually cried over what to do with a pre-1974 sippy cup. My sippy cup which I used when I was a baby and then each and every one of my 7 cousins-siblings used after me. No one needs it anymore. Grandma can't host thanksgiving in an apartment made for 2.Was it time to give it to Goodwill? And then-- to know they might not want it-- and someone --would throw it in the trash.

I don't want downsize my House Popcorn Bowl! Thankfully I don't have to. And for today, I will relish in the fact that I *may or may not* have a pile of dirty dishes which reach to the kitchen ceiling. But among them is the biggest blue plastic popcorn bowl you have ever seen.
P.S. For the record, I would contemplate throwing the sippy cup in my car… (however I left it for someone else to decide.)


So much to sort and my favorite childhood popcorn bowl is still in mom's house :) I love you Heather. Thank you for a sippy cup reminder. I used it way back when as well!
ReplyDelete