Thursday, April 24, 2014

Soccer Round 5




I'll be interested to see what activities Hudson chooses to participate in as he grows older. As we have started this 5th "season" of soccer, I am not sure if he chooses to play because he always has or whether he just likes the post-game snacks that much. (I am putting my money on the latter.)
He doesn't really seem to be improving his skills, per se. Although he has spent less time rolling around on the field this season. He continues to be a vocal cheerleader/motivational coach for his teammates. However, his style of motivation falls more squarely in the Bob Knight school of thought. Frankly sometimes I am terrified as I hear him yelling "RUN FASTER" with a harsh tone and passionate conviction. Rarely does he run faster when he is out on the field.
Plugging his ears as the kids were all singing "Let It Go"

I am disappointed he will not be able to do tennis lessons this summer. I think he will have to be in a sport where his success is placed squarely on his own shoulders. Those individual sports, namely cross country and swimming, always produced teenagers who were equally great in the classroom. Too bad Angry Birds does not translate into an IHSAA sport.

The coaches are so great. They exhibit such patience for these gnat-sized attention spans and lack of coordination the little players show. I am the mom telling Hudson to "rub some dirt in it" every time he falls and scrapes a knee. Good Lord knows we need more band-aids than we should. I hope I remember to take them to China!

Always the social butterfly, Hudson enjoys being able to talk to those we get to see because of soccer. He loves to talk to his long time friend CJ, who even spent the night at our house last week. They talk about Angry Birds and the weather and school and about who is right and who is wrong on most of life's deepest subjects. Seeing his friends on the other team does not stop his need to have a social conversation with them too-- even if it happens to be in the middle of an actual game. There is no room for him to worry about kicking the ball with all these fresh faces and ears to attend to. Talking to Coach Craig, about game strategy, no doubt, is much more enjoyable than using all his energy running around.

Can't believe we will miss next season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment