Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Stupid things people say

As much as I like an opinionated person, I've had a lion's share of people bestow upon me some pretty stupid commentary on their take of our decision to move to China with the kids. I desperately tried to forgive and forget --for example-- the numbskull who suggested we "sell our house and start new" when we return home from Asia. I mean, WHAT? Are you kidding me? Have you seen my kitchen (wink)? I am not going to sell my house just because we are taking a couple of month expat job!
I sometimes think our society just feels more comfortable sharing their opinions than they used to. Social media like Facebook and even this blog probably invite people to think it is okay to give me their two cents on our choices. I am aware I am emotional lately but it is just really hard to be in the recipient of so many people's thoughts on (specifically) whether the kids and I should go over with Josh.


Not that I feel like we owe anyone an explanation, but just for the record, the reason we are going with Josh to China has as much to do with these three pictures as anything else. The boys need their dad. There is no reason why we need to keep them apart. China might be new, strange, smelly, and different, but the boys will be just fine because we will be with them. We will protect them just as we do every single day here in the United States. It is not more dangerous there. If anything, it sounds a heck of a lot safer than Indianapolis these days. 


I found out last Friday that my blog is blocked in China, so for the period of time that we are there, I doubt that I will be able to document our life as it happens. While that is a bummer from the standpoint of "baby booking" the kids' life (which is this blog's goal), I wonder if it won't be a little bit better in the long run. Social media is a great way to keep in touch with each other, but it never can replace the knowledge that close friendship shares, nor should it invite unsolicited opinions.



But, that is just MY opinion.





No comments:

Post a Comment