Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dear Santa

Everyone --and I mean everyone-- keeps asking Hudson if he has talked to Santa yet. And his answer is this blank stare. I am not one to ever, ever, ever take him to some crowded mall to sit on some weirdo's lap. Funny how I have absolutely no judgement for those who push this sort of December agenda. But a lot of people (and it actually feels like everyone) thinks that I am some sort of Scrooge for not participating in the Santa visit.
I am really sorry that I just don't get the whole going to see Santa thing. Although I am not confident it is just a religious thing, I just know that I don't want him to think that this whole season is about the big man in red. NOT to mention that "Santa" has already done HER shopping and I am not going to run out to Toys R Us if he thinks up yet another item that he "needs". 
All that said, we did write a letter to Santa and we mailed it at the town lighting celebration. This was mostly a reconnaissance move so I could align his wish list to what Santa was buying. And I did not begrudge my child the opportunity to talk to a nice free Santa that happened to be at his school after his Christmas program.

 Hudson had MANY things to explain to him about what he wanted.
 There were hand motions and lengthy descriptors.
 I finally had to cut him off. There was a line.
Tucker, thankfully not screaming, but not amused.

On Saturday we went to another Christmas event at the IMS track. That Santa was about 30 years older than THIS Santa. We did not sit on his lap. Regardless, Hudson made note of the differences. And he had questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment