Monday, December 31, 2012

Fifteen things about this Christmas

Between the Christmas gluttony and general busy-ness of this time of year, I have not been good about the blogging! Everything has been so wonderful, I just am bursting at where to start with the memories I want to maintain about this Christmas season!

1. Just to prove how behind I am-- here was the beginning of Christmas with the city's tree lighting ceremony. A wonderfully warm night made for a fantastic tradition I hope we can maintain!


2. If I learned ANYTHING this Christmas, it is to NOT BUY PRESENTS early. If I learned TWO things, it is to NOT GIVE THE GOOD IDEAS TO GRANDMA. As much as I am not a part of this Santa business, I am emotionally distraught that he definitely disappointed this year. But, as this photographic evidence proves, Hudson
 asked for Hot Wheels, not a Hot Wheels track. That request came around closer to the Big Day. Thankfully, he got one from grandma and adores it!

3. Tucker did not open one single present. Both lack of interest and his willing personal assistant Hudson made this a favorable condition for everyone involved. Thankfully Santa did not wrap his circus tent, new zippy, or new phone. All three were being used immediately.

4. Playing in the snow is awesome when you have a buddy to join you! Preacher Man's granddaughter and Little Man played outside multiple times, built a snow fort, and taste tested the newly fallen snow.

5. Tucker loves to sweep and his new broom will go to good use as soon as we eat a meal at home!

6. New Christmas jammies are just how we roll in this house. And Mama got a new wireless remote for her camera. I hope to be in more pictures in 2013. (Not really, but I did want the remote!)

7. We may or may had a meltdown or two when we had to share.

8. Those toy makers need to get their act together and figure out that when you make a chainsaw (or leaf blower, we got both!!) toy for a 4-8 year old, you better make the safety goggles to fit that size head!
But "safety first, or in the top five" as Dirty Job's Mike Rowe says. Hudson dealt with the pain of the present to be sure to utilize all parts of the gift! This makes my ears hurt!




9. I will admit that one super wonderful thing about my kids lately has been how well they are sleeping. Especially considering this time of travel, hotel beds, and related chaos. At the Hughes Christmas, Hudson came up to me at 4 o'clock and said, "I'm tired. I'd like to nap now." Say wha???? Good thing Poppa Bear is always up for a cuddle buddy.

10. As always, you just gotta go. with. the. flow. It monsooned on my wedding day. I had an unplanned c-section. Rolling with the punches is the way of a happy life, people. So when it blizzarded (my new word) on our scheduled turkey deep frying day, December 26, we went to plan B. Uncle Davey did not pass up the opportunity to inject the bird with his giant needle. God help me if he ever has to take MY blood.

11. The best sweets I ate all month (and I had a ridiculous amount) would be those imperfectly iced moments I gobbled down at 11:49 p.m. December 24th. I love how bossy Little Man is even in his writing.

 12. Indianapolis 500 festivities are not limited to May if you are members of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's Kids Club-- as we naturally are! Hudson chose his own facepainting moment here. Remind me not to veto his future choices. This was hilarious!
 Tucker only wanted to do one activity: ride those bikes. He is determined, which makes up for his lack of height and balance!

13. Cosmo, the neighbor's cat, officially relocated to the swanky igloo Hudson, Josh, and David built during the blizzard. Needless to say, we now have a pet.

14. Mama did not brave the Jolly Days at the Children's Museum alone this year! Whoop! Dada joined in on the chaotic fun and was overwhelmed by the noise and commotion that is the joy of our grand facility. Both boys really liked having him around and I especially was happy to have an extra set of eyes as both dudes love to run from exhibit to exhibit without much concern if I follow.


15. Sweet T was able to have his first sledding experience on the same hill (at my dad's) and in the same sled his big brother experienced three years ago. Hudson is seriously sledding obsessed and even went once at night! Grandma Janet loves night walks in the snow, so a couple of runs by the moonlight were an added bonus.


That is not everything, but it is enough! I call it a wrap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment