Thursday, December 6, 2012

Sick of doctors


Before the meltdown.
What is more painful than going to the dentist? 
Going with two kids under four.

So, I have been sick and naturally my mom wants me to go to the doctor's office immediately. Trouble is going to the doctor's office lately has made me only more irritated. We've had two really bad experiences recently with waiting at the doctor's office.

At the dentist office two weeks ago they scheduled Hudson and I with back to back appointments. I guess I should have known that taking both kids was going to be impossible, but I am a fool and believe that I can do it all. After getting called back within seconds of our arrival, we waited back in the chair room for twenty minutes. I texted my step mom who worked in a dentist office years ago and she suggested letting the kids scream all they wanted. It helped! We had a tech working on Hudson's teeth in minutes! But, it was really of no use. We had already waited so long, Tucker was only amused for a couple of minutes by the lady in the mask. By the time it was my appointment time we had been there an hour. I let her work on the top half, but with a squirming screaming one year old on my lap, we left. I did not reschedule.

I don't know why they feel like they want to put you back into a little waiting room with kids. The main waiting area in both offices has a ton of toys. Keep us in there! Until the second when you are actually ready to see me, and then take us back. But, I do not rule the world.

A similar experience happened to me with my regular doctor. I have seen her three times in the past three months for all these blood tests and the like and my wait times have been 1 hour, 45 minutes, and 1 hour. The first time, I had Mariya with the kids in the waiting room. And even though Mariya thought I had died, I know the kids were entertained. The second time I had just Tucker and that was more manageable. This time, I got up and left. I opened the door, made eye contact with the doctor in the hall, and said, "We are outta here." We went to the checkout station and when I told her we left after not being seen, the receptionist did not even flinch. She just softly said, "Oh" and I asked for my latest mammogram results and we left. Are my standards too high? Even if the office was dealing with something much worse than my own needs that day, don't you think after 30 minutes they might come let you know? Thankfully I never received a bill for that visit either.

So, I am sick and I am not going to the doctor. (My med-head brain is churning....) Unless I don't have any kids with me, then I WILL go to the doctor and take my pillow and blankie. I think I could at least get an hour's nap that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment