Sunday, August 3, 2014

Baby Steps

In my life I have taken six amazing showers or baths and with my lucid memory I have the ability to tell you when I took each of them. Ready? They are...last Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Yep, even those I had after giving birth pale in comparison to the magic of a shower after a day in Wuhan. We have been without power for the past twelve hours, so [SPOILER ALERT] I will be logging amazing shower number seven tonight after I finish writing you all. It is 90 degrees outside right now and it is 9:13 p.m, so I assume that our apartment is a balmy 100 plus.
Sleeping beauty.

This morning we toured our little section of town with Cristos and our driver. (I have many pictures to share later this week.) Following our tour, we went to a lunch with several of Josh's co-workers in Golden Harbor. The conversation drifted to all the changes the kids (well, and us) have endured in the past week:
New country.
New bed.
New animals.
New language.
New water.
New dangers.
New faces.
New home.
New time.
New schedule.
New food.
New climate.
New transportation options.
New culture.
New rules.
New surroundings.
And, let us be frank, they have dealt with a new mama. One who definitely has said new things and yelled at them for a whole slew of new things. One who has been quite obviously dealing with a lot of changes on her own. One who has had total strangers come up JUST TO TOUCH HER WHITE SKIN. One who has stood in line at the store for 45 minutes (without killing herself). One who has thrown them into cabs and out of the way of oncoming vehicles. One who is trying her hardest to realize that foreign countries are not supposed to be home. They are supposed to be foreign and that. is. okay.

And one who has given them a bath, just about every day, not just because you need to wash the heat and sweat and dirt of this city off you, but because it is a familiar, routine ritual that is very similar to how things were a week ago. And sometimes a bath can make you feel like you can conquer the world.

He is getting REALLY good at chopsticks. (Check out that marketing too)
Superfluous picture of child sleeping because, as any mama knows, there is nothing better.

1 comment:

  1. Love the sleeping baby pictures! He is too cute. Keep hanging in there. You may not ever get used to it or call it home, but you will find a way to cope and a new sense of "normal" while you are there.

    ReplyDelete