A couple weeks ago they had Take Your Kid to Work Day. Josh's boss, knowing that I am home all day, every day with both kids called it "Mother's Day" but instead of going to the spa or shopping or even getting a mani/pedi, I did something much more lame, but much more my style: I went to the most iconic historical spot of Wuhan, the Yellow Crane Tower.
I consider myself pretty well-versed in knowledge of American history, but I knew little/nothing about Chinese history prior to our trip. To really be educated will take a lifetime simply because of the longevity of this country. For example, the main focus of my day away was to see and climb the tower itself which was originally built in 223 AD.
Did you catch that year? I did not forget any numbers. The original Yellow Crane Tower was built as a lookout for the city/area in 223. Obviously, the tower I climbed was a reproduction of it (the original and its successor were both destroyed in separate wars), but holy cow.
 |
| They are serious about their statues in this country! |
 |
| View from the top. Roof fish in foreground, Yangtze River, TV tower in distance, and smog. |
 |
| Love his smile. |
 |
| This couple was having quite a moment. I photographed them for awhile. |
 |
At the base of the tower is a whole compound of beauty. Here you are encouraged to write your
own poetry on these blackboards. |
 |
| What is this little garden treasure? |
 |
Um, amazing! It is Mother's Day after all!
I will spare you pictures of every twisty tree and colorful flower.
But this was such a treasure to me; I had no idea I would come across it. |
 |
| Love this winding stream. Maybe our backyard should look like this. |
So, it was the absolute best decision to go without kids. I hiked an insane amount that day. The six story climb to the top of the tower alone would have never been finished by the kids. And I was able to really sit and people watch and take in all of the sights in relative peace. Although, I was approached several times by people wanting pictures. One sweet teenage girl met up with me early on and then waved at me like a long lost cousin the other five times I saw her. A group of women chittered like a group of squirrels behind me for a good 10 minutes before one of them mustered up the courage to ask me to hold her baby. Then she proceeded to (gently) smack the baby in the face trying to wake her up for our picture. I did nothing short of insist that she stop and rocked the baby (and her bare bottom through her split pants) back into a restful nap.
 |
| I was just thinking "don't poop on me. don't poop on me." |
 |
| Three of these things are not like the others... |
Meanwhile, the Harris boys had a grand ole time at work with their dad. They went on a tour and listened to presentations is Chinese. Tucker sang his ABCs during the talent show and they got toys to take home which occupied them all afternoon once I picked them up. Happy Mother's Day indeed!
Happy Mother's Day! What a great idea that should be adopted here! I think I see Josh in the back row and the boys in the front. Too sweet!
ReplyDeleteAC here trying to get dad connected better to your blog...we'll see if it works...
ReplyDeleteAmazing pictures, as usual! This is the part of China I could get into. Not so much the crazy populated cities and insane traffic. Glad you were able to have this peaceful day.
ReplyDelete