Friday, December 5, 2014

ShangHai Part Two

Sometimes I get really tired of lugging my heavy camera around and on those days where I have the kids by myself in a city of 24 million, it is not the best idea. On our second day in ShangHai Josh had to work, so the kids and I were on our own to explore. I decided to figure out the subway system and get us to the Science and Technology museum. The weather was still rainy and ugly. After five months in China, I knew better than to try and bring a stroller along. It is usually more trouble than it is worth. So packing light was my best plan. 

With no camera in hand, I am left to document the day in the best way possible, with just my mind's eye. Despite horrible weather and the overall stress of such a huge foreign city, my day without a camera will always be one of my favorite memories of China. I was so proud of how helpful Hudson was and how easy going Tucker chose to be that day. The three of us just had fun bartering in the markets, managing street food options, and touring one-fourth of a huge science museum with thousands of other (screaming and screeching) Chinese children. 

Our next day we went back to the area near the river and with the confidence from the previous day's travels, I felt up to bringing my camera along. The weather had cleared and we were able to take in amazing views of the skyscrapers.
I took this picture on my phone for our driver who wrote us a text
hoping we were having a fun time!

This was the most gorgeous Pizza Hut I have ever been too.
Now if they could just have some pepperoni on their menu!!! Grrr....

Building on the right is the second tallest in the world. It is amazing.

On our last day in ShangHai Josh wanted to go back to Tea Street where I had been earlier in the week. The culture of tea in China is difficult to explain. It is not just a fast drink with cute cups. There is a whole process and ritual regarding the way that you buy it, present it, store it, share it, and finally drink it. Over the course of the past couple months this has become more and more evident to me. Today I actually went to Tea Street in Wuhan. (I will post images from that later.)  ShangHai's Tea Street area was quite small, but interesting.
This tea is 700 RMB for 500 grams, which is actually cheap.


You either buy tea loose or in wafers or flat circles.
The only tea I have seen in teabags has been at our apart'hotel.
Then to end our trip we went on the Maglev. I had no idea what this was, but Josh was pretty insistent that we ride it; basically it is a train without wheels or a track. It is moved by magnetic pull. (Maglev=think magnetic levitation) It would take us to the Pudong airport  as opposed to taking a taxi or subway...and it would go 430 KPH (or 267 MPH). Um....sounds awesome.

Our total ride was just 15 minutes long or so, but it was really, really fun. And you felt like you were going really, really fast. The G-train that we took months ago went 300 KPH and you could feel the difference.  We really enjoyed seeing another key Chinese city. Now, we are off for our weekend in the mountains!

1 comment:

  1. Those were amazing buildings! Are you teaching your driver to text in English? How do you even know what type of tea you are buying? Did you select the ordinary section or did you receive an upgrade to extraordinary? Magnetic levitation? And the mountains? I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the next report!!! Stay safe and get some rest :)

    ReplyDelete