Tucker does not really talk. And on any day when I am not discussing this with a pediatrician, it is fine by me. After all, his big brother talks enough for two ten kids. So my ears are working overtime as it is. I am grateful for the ability to hear though. Listening to the kids laugh has to be the best thing ever. Mister T has a great laugh too. He loves to push his "stinky" feet right into your face when you are changing him on his diapering table. Those little tootsies do not stink at all, but if you act like they do-- he will give you the most heartwarming giggle ever.
I wonder what it would be like to be a mom who could not smell. My girlfriend Amy has no sense of smell. Her kids would get diaper changes as regular as most people take medication. "Every two hours" she would say. There was something regal about having a diaper changing schedule as opposed to the rest of us Neanderthal mothers who run around playdates sniffing random butts of the children present looking for The One.
We talked the other day at a playdate about which of our five senses was the most "expendable". The group ruled out sight for me as I am the photographer of most of them there. I eliminated touch as I would not be able to pick the camera up. Speaking of pictures, I probably should explain the tears of this one. I took this the other day when Sweet T was awfully disappointed with my decision to take away his sucker, but I found it to be a very sweet moment. He gets overly bummed at us these days for not understanding exactly what he has on his mind. He holds his hands just so when he is having his meltdowns making it all the more difficult for my heart. Plus, I am over pictures where kids are always smiling at me. If I have another mother yelling "smile. smile! smile! smile" over my shoulder at another photo session, I am going to have some jailtime ahead of me.I am 44 days into a new eating "life program" that only proves to me that taking away my sense of taste would probably be the best thing for me. I absolutely love food. I love cooking it and reading about it, and of course, the eating of it. In my little "accountability group" everyone is constantly asking for my dinner recipes. I don't think talking about food was meant to be the focus of our little email chats, but I will just have to keep my group happy! Unlike poor little Tucker...

No comments:
Post a Comment