I suppose in reality I would rather forget this whole incident happened. I am confident I will not be able to describe the full on-slaught of crying and dramatics that happened, and for the sake of the grandparent's soft hearts, that is probably for the best. Honestly, I am not even going to try. Yet, in effort to be forthright about what life is like with a four year old, here we go:
We had the most horrible night last night with Hudson. He got in trouble at school for kissing a girl. And when I found out it was not his "most talked about" lady-friend Nora, but another little girl, I asked him why he was trying to kiss on her. He said he had "twwwwwo girlfriends." I told him that kissing was not appropriate in school. Then I told him that he could not kiss anybody but Mama. "That sounds boring," he said.
When Josh came home I told Hudson he needed to tell his daddy what happened at school. He threw an absolute hysterical fit. Hudson kept saying, "Dada will be so mad. He will be so mad." (Actually I was pretty sure that Josh would want to secretly high five his ladies man son, but I did not mention that.) It lasted multiple hours and drained every tear duct he had. I guess I am not as scary as I thought; Josh must be much for threatening! Anyway, it was a horrible night.
I share all of this because I have figured out that so much of the strain of parenthood is perspective. The night when we tried to let Hudson cry it out was the "worst night" of my life until he fell down and got his first bruise. That "worst night" was superseded by the first time he told me that he was scared. And that "worst night" was trumped by the first time I did something that hurt his feelings. I just get the feeling that one day when he has done something I DO NOT EVEN WANT TO IMAGINE I will look back and say, "Hmmmm...being scared to tell Josh that he kissed a four year old at preschool?!?! Yeah, that was nothin."


No comments:
Post a Comment