My husband likes to spend money. I like to not spend money. Therefore, the past five years of kitchen remodeling have had their interesting (read: disagreeable) moments. When you come to view the new room in all its splendor, anticipate that I will tell you stories of how cheap things were and he, well, he will show off the pricey gadgets.However, one particular moment where Josh was right on was with the purchase of our $360 kitchen faucet. I told him a hands free model with built in hose neck sprayer was so unnecessary, and naturally he bought it anyway. Oh my gracious, how I love it! We have had it installed for a week now and I have only turned the water on manually-- like a common pauper-- once. I still don't know how to actually make the water hot. I do know that it has a magic "laser" according to Hudson and is my favorite thing ever.
In the days since the funeral for my Aunt Tish, I have been trying to formulate a deep thought about life. Having written about death several times over the past five years, I shrug as I realize her passing only reiterates the most accepted universal truths I already knew. I only feel I can state the obvious: I adore my family. As unfathomable as it was to sit and celebrate the life of someone whose Time should not have already come, I marvel at the sheer joy and peace that is this truth: Family is what it is all about. My heart ached and my stomach hurt, but being able to hug it out with aunts and uncles, cousins and siblings, and share lighter moments together afterward made it feel possible to say that, indeed, Life will go on.
Families are made stronger by the connections of the generations. I am so grateful for the thread that binds my clan together. They are a crazy, fast talking, witty bunch, but I am so grateful for them.
But that is obvious, right? Just like that laser sink faucet. You know it will be awesome. Go get yourself one.



No comments:
Post a Comment