Greetings from Stress Central. We are attempting to stay afloat here. Something is amiss with Little Man. I am worried that his ears are clogged or he has learned to completely block out the voice of his father and I at the tender age of four. We are having catastrophic meltdowns the past couple evenings at bedtime. Sometime around 14 minutes after he gets up for the day he stops listening. And by the time it gets dark out, I am at the end of my rope. There is a warning and then the behavior is repeated and then there is the reprimand and then it is all over. His dada is at the end of his rope about 14 minutes after he gets home from work.
Yes, I am joking to some degree. But something has to change or I am going to go medieval on his butt.
Hudson is the most wonderfully curious, frequently sweet, genuinely cuddly, articulate, gregarious little person I have yet to meet. But he is at this age where days with him are just... hard. It almost bothers me to say that. Just to type it, makes me want to hit the delete key. But that won't change what is going on. He asks SO MANY QUESTIONS. Sometimes it is really funny. Like at the gas station the other day, he was like, "How do they get the gas in the pump?" and I said, "They put it in underground tanks."
"Where does the gas come from?"
"It comes oil."
"How do they make it into gas?"
"It is a process that they do at a refinery, Hudson."
"No, HOW do they do it?"
For real?!? this is what he is wondering about?! But sometimes, it is just straight exhausting. I bet that he asks me, "How do you know?" about 75 times a day.
"Hudson, if you feed the fish too much they will die."
"How do you know?"
"Hudson, if you put that Hot Wheel in our washer it will get banged up."
"How do you know?"
"Hudson, if you do not eat lunch you will be hungry by dinner?"
"How do you know?"
If you come over and I am crying in the corner, please answer my son's questions.
This past Saturday a friend lost her 38 year old husband when he had a heart attack at the gym. Yeah, I am not doing well with that at all. They have two little girls. They were both so respected in our community. I don't know how to help. And you know Heather, she is always one with a plan. I feel so lost; I don't really know what to do. Prayer does not seem like enough. I know that I should trust in God's plan; I know my faith wants me to believe He is in control of the Big Picture. But really I just find myself asking, "How do you know?"

So sorry Heather!
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for you!
Four-year olds having meltdowns must be in the air - because - I'm also having a problem with Connor.
As for your friend that lost her husband and her girls lost their daddy, my heart bleeds for her and her girls. Even though we have our faith, it still doesn't stop us from asking "Why?" They will also be in my prayers.
I guess when you have a rough day with Hudson and his meltdowns and I have a bad day with Connor and his recent meltdowns, we should just take a breath and realize that it could always be worse.
Love you!